FCI Painting Offers Expert Drywall Repair and Texturing Services
As residents of Naples and southwest Florida continue to clean up and repair the obvious damages wrought by Hurricane Irma, homeowners and businesses should assess their buildings for less evident damage. Among this less distinct damage is the potential impact to drywall from water intrusion. The drywall that makes up interior walls in homes and buildings that experienced flooding is likely compromised, as it sopped up floodwaters from the floor, while leaking roofs allowed water intrusion into ceiling drywall. Additionally, wind-blown rainwater may have penetrated outside walls and soaked into the drywall on the exterior side.
Not only can water damaged drywall be unsightly, but its integrity can be compromised to the point of collapse. At the least, untreated water-damaged drywall can lead to the growth of dangerous mold and mildew, usually within 24 to 48 hours of water intrusion. Not only is this mold and mildew possibly hazardous to your health, but it slowly continues to break down the gypsum of your drywall.
Let FCI Painting Inspect and Repair Your Drywall
If you know or suspect that the drywall in your home or building has been compromised by water intrusion, FCI Painting can conduct a comprehensive inspection to determine the extent of potential damage, and recommend the appropriate level of drywall repair. FCI Painting’s drywall repair specialists will remove and replace damaged sections of drywall to ensure the integrity of your interior walls and ceiling and eliminate the threat from mold and mildew. FCI Painting can follow-up its drywall services with a fast and efficient paint job that will make you forget that the walls and ceilings were ever damaged.
Don’t Forget to Account for Drywall Texture
Whether you have an existing drywall texture that you would like to replicate, or would like to upscale the look of your interior walls and ceilings, FCI Painting’s drywall specialists are experts in producing the full range of drywall textures. Drywall textures can be applied by hand or by compressed-air-assisted hopper, with a variety of different textures delivered by both methods. Our specialists use a variety of tools to produce the desired texture in the compounds used, whether drywall mud, joint compound or plaster. While the hawk and trowel are the most utilized tools, special brushes, detailing knives, paint rollers and other instruments can also be used for specialty texturing.
Different textures can be achieved with the compressed air hopper by using different sized and shaped spray gun nozzles. The amount of air pressure used can also influence the texture, as can any aggregate added to the compound used.
Popular Drywall Textures
Among the more popular drywall textures are:
- Smooth Finish: This classy finish is used in many high-end homes, and is the most suitable finish for high-end matte and eggshell paints. A smooth drywall finish is achieved by applying plaster compound with a drywall knife and then using a pole sander to achieve the fine, smooth surface.
- Skip Trowel: This elegant texture has a variety of subtle styles and looks, but most often is used to add a Mediterranean flair to walls and ceilings. The texture is achieved by utilizing a light stroke with a trowel on a joint compound mixed with a little water, and sometimes, some sand.
- Knockdown: As with the Skip Trowel texture, this texture has a variety of subtle styles and looks, but the texture consists of unique shapes that emerge from the wall. Applied with an air assisted hopper using an aggregate material, the knockdown texture provides a classy look, but is also perfect for hiding any imperfections that otherwise can’t be repaired.
- Swirl: This smoother looking finish includes swirls in compound created by making short swirl motions with the trowel or specialty brushes and knives.
- Spray Sand: Known as a more cost-efficient texturing process, this compressed-air application gives the surface small sand-like bumps. Given the right coat of paint and this texture can look refined and exotic.
If you need drywall repairs due to storm damage, or as just part of overall renovations, contact FCI Painting online, or by calling (239) 435-1001, to see what our drywall specialists can do to improve the look of your interior walls and ceilings.